Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Journey to Tennessee Part 1

















I wanted to document this trip as much as possible so that one day when we are all done with this shenanigans, we would have something to look back on. Leading up to this adventure I was so stressed and worried about how things would pan out. (hence the insane breakouts I had and still have.) I planned ahead and purchased toys at the Dollar Store for Crew so that he would have something new to play with in the car.

The days leading up to the trip were a little crazy. We wanted to squeeze in one last temple trip before we left but sadly didn't make it. We spent a while cleaning and packing our house so that our family could move in! We are so sad we won't be there over summer with them, but hopefully me and the kids will visit once.

We decided to leave on Friday and drive to New Mexico to stay in a hotel. We figured that the kids could only handle about 8 hours in the car each day so that's how we spread out our trip! The total amount of hours was 28. So it took us a while! Luckily we stopped at two of my aunts house's along the way. We packed our car so full! I decided that this summer I was going to be more high maintenance and bring a lot more. In the previous summers I pack light...especially for me. But this summer I brought out all of my shoes, and clothes. I also brought a few other things to make it feel like home. We also have a whole other person to pack for so it was a lot of stuff. I sat in the front seat the whole time so squished. Sat indian style with things packed underneath me. So uncomfortable...but bearable.

In the weeks leading up to this trip Alex and I decided that it would be good if I followed him out there and drove separately with the kids. I was hesitant to agree...but I did. We could bring all of our stuff out right then and our second car so there were a lot of benefits to caravanning. A few days before I just kept feeling so scared about it! There was no way I could make that drive by myself. Who would help the kids? Who would give them the toy they dropped? or the snack they want? So we decided to drive together and have someone else drive the other car out...but I don't get my other things for another 2 whole weeks. So that's a bummer.

I knew that we wouldn't be seeing much of Alex this summer so this car ride was so great for all of us! Undivided attention for 5 whole days. I love car rides with Al, and Crew was such a hoot the whole time. We were so thankful and shocked that the kiddos did so well. Laney slept pretty much the entire time of the drive, and Crew would sleep, play toys, read books, or talk to himself. It was pretty funny. We would be driving and all of the sudden we would hear Laney squawking in her seat! We died laughing. Often times we thought she was sleeping but she was just sitting in her seat so quiet. Love that girl.  The drive at the beginning was rough for me. So car sick! The roads to New Mexico are so curvy.

The second day we drove to Texas where my aunt Sarah and her husband live. (the one who set us up) We loved it there. We got to see my cousin Mckinley and her husband too so that was a treat! They live there while Zac goes to school...so I'm totally jealous of her being close to Sarah. We stayed with them till Monday morning. We went to church with them. I went to YW with my cousins because my aunt was teaching and it brought back so many good memories. I loved being there and remembering the times I would sit in those seats thinking of my future and all that good stuff. I really can't believe I'm already at the stage of life I'm in. I'm only 21! Still shocks me.

(I'll include pictures in another post...this one is long)

No comments:

Post a Comment