Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Life on Pause


"You will find some of your greatest joys in your efforts to make your home a place of faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and a place that is permeated with love." -Henry B Eyring 



I have so much to say about what has been going on during these past couple of months. Around the new year we heard of some coronavirus spreading in China. Seemed like a bummer for them but the rest of us carried on. Then in late January at some point we kept hearing more about it, it started to become sad to see the news articles of what was happening in Chinese hospitals. Families being ripped apart because nurses/doctors needed to work and be away from their loved ones so they didn't spread the virus. My aunt and uncle live in South Korea and eventually word made way to us that they shut everything down there and were told to stay indoors. Things started to become a little more serious once people on cruise ships started becoming infected. 

It's pretty typical of me to have the latest update on the sad stories of the world...just don't ask me about politics. So when I read an article about the potential threat the virus had to our country, I sent it off to some family and friends. Again, just thought it was interesting and probably a good idea to start preparing some things for our home. I ordered non perishables and other items on Walmart pickup and loaded up! Some family thought I was silly, and maybe I was, but the nervous feeling I had never left. I only wish I would have listened more and stocked up on more essentials!

Fast forward to last week. It became pretty real that this virus has now landed in the United States for sure. Such a weird feeling! (Italy was hit pretty hard with it and they are still on lock down in their homes. Only allowed to leave for the store, doctor or bank.) Our kids had spring break last week and were so excited to go back to school....until the news came that they wouldn't be going back. It's honestly devastating. I feel so bad for them. We've cried a few tears all together thinking about not getting to say a real goodbye to their friends and teachers. I've explained to them that there is still a chance they can go back next month, but it's not likely. So we are working on writing letters to friends and teachers. Their amazing teachers sent links and worksheets that they can use if they choose too. 

Our days are very long, not going to lie about that part, but they have been filled with so much good. It feels so good to not have anywhere to be or any obligations. We've set up the tent, played games, endless coloring, and sand playing. Dance parties are the norm when we try and lighten the mood...let's be real, those are for me. Still over here feeling a lot of faith and hope, but then realizing how serious this is brings me down for a bit. Overall we are making it! We have a renewed sense of slowing down and breathing in the moments more. 

The side of this that is SO NEAT is that our Prophet told us to prepare for the April session of conference by reading Joseph Smith History and told us it wouldn't be like any conference before. That has had all of us on our toes since. With the virus they have now cancelled church, temple work for those who have passed on, and cancelled all other big events. College students were asked to go home and only take their classes online. So this April conference session has us all very intrigued and excited. I am so thankful for the Gospel and the practices put in place for situations like these. Alex and I have talked about how serious we need to be about family preparedness when this situation arrises again. It's an exciting time to be alive and I keep telling myself that daily. 

It's been a great opportunity to teach our kids (mostly the older 2) about the world around us. We've talked about faith during scary times and how important prayer and scripture study is. Crew keeps saying he can't wait for conference and it makes me laugh. Excited to have him right there with us watching. 

I've been running and listening to conference talks (that's whats saving me right now) but literally every single talk says something that points to the time we are in.  I have so much hope and peace regarding the future. It will all be ok! 

Some of what we've been up to:
-bike rides
-walks
-baking
-movies
-crafts
-many Thomas snuggles
-block building
-playing in the rain
-puzzles
-weird dress up days
-boogie man at night





























No comments:

Post a Comment