I haven't been meaning to put of this post for any reason other than I just don't know how to put my feelings into words very well. A few weeks ago Alex and I celebrated 4 whole years of marriage. Honestly to me, it doesn't seem like a very long time considering how many moves we have made in that time and babies! (ha ha) and other things we have done. (kinda wish I could add a graduation to that list of accomplishments...but maybe by year 8 we will have one. Who knows.)
Everyone says that the first year of marriage is a tough one but for us it really wasn't. It was a fantastic year! Every year after that has been pretty awesome too. Year four has been pretty great too but maybe a little extra challenging than the rest? I don't really know exactly why but this year we both had a reality check and found out that marriage is a lot of hard, hard work. It was something that we both needed and feel so grateful to have figured that out after only 4 years. Marriage takes constant love and attention and honest evaluation.
I feel that I can be a pretty good mother sometimes but it's been hard for me in the last year to continue to be a good wife as well! Maybe both roles come naturally to you and that's wonderful, but for me, one of those takes a little more work and effort than the other:)
To celebrate our anniversary this year Alex took me to a resort in Sedona, Arizona. Goodness it's beautiful up there and was exactly what we needed! My mother-in-law watched the kids for a few days and I think they were pretty good.
Our stay there was pretty low key. Good food, a spa day, and a lot of time to just talk. We played tennis together one morning and that was a blast. That's a sport we are trying to take up and become better at! It's just so fun and something we can play when we are all old and wrinkly...
We feel so blessed for everything we have been given. So thankful for our friendship and the cute kids we have.
Year 5 will be a good one with the addition of a new baby, a new outlook on the job we have and a refreshed view on our marriage.
Trent and I were definitely one of those who struggled through that first year. I am sure it had something to do with his logical thinking and my emotional thinking... surprise! but Happy Anniversary to you two and all the INCREDIBLE things you have accomplished in these four years. A degree doesn't hold a CANDLE to what you are accomplishing with your kids. Serious. I can't wait to do the same!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteBeing a good wife or mother is a task of a lifetime isn't it?! They are complex and personal disciplines for sure! And I can't believe we didn't get to talk more about Sedona! Next playdate I want to hear all about it, that's one of my dream resorts (that I hint to Chad to take me to all too often).
DeleteBeing a good wife or mother is a task of a lifetime isn't it?! They are complex and personal disciplines for sure! And I can't believe we didn't get to talk more about Sedona! Next playdate I want to hear all about it, that's one of my dream resorts (that I hint to Chad to take me to all too often).
Delete