Friday, August 15, 2014

Laney Kate Martinsen



I think I have told my mom a million times how much I miss this and wish I could do it all over again. I'll just say this once, but I love pregnancy and giving birth. 

Once I hit 37 weeks pregnant I was determined to get this little girl out of me. I did not try every "natural" inducing tactic, but almost all off them. She was just very cozy. When I hit 38.5 weeks I finally gave up the thought of her coming early. Maybe she just knew that grandma really needed to get here first because mom couldn't do it without her! 
Sunday came and we finally were off to pick up my mom at the airport! Crew was so excited and we were too...for obvious reasons. Sunday night hit and all of us were tired of seeing myself pregnant. Alex was so funny, and was reading about different things we could do to get her out. He then suggested demanded that I try taking castor oil...the one thing that I swore I would NOT do. 
He went and got it and strongly encouraged me to drink it. So I only drank 1.5 tablespoons and waited all night for something to happen. Well...nothing did...until 1:40am! In the middle of the night I woke up with contractions lasting 40 seconds and coming every 2 minutes. (Oh and I DIDN'T get the normal castor oil side effects) So I was just pacing the floors till 3am with contractions. I decided to get some rest just in case this was the real deal, and if they kept coming, then we would go to the hospital. Well I woke up the next morning still pregnant...but just in constant pain. 
We decided to go to the hospital around 10am just to see if I was in labor (haha) and check my dilation. I felt so stupid walking to triage because I honestly wasn't in a lot of pain. 
The nurse checked me and I was at a 5! I was contracting every 5 or so minutes, but I was scheduled to be induced anyways the next day...so my doctor decided to let us stay. By the time I was admitted it was around 11:30am. My doctor came in and broke my water at 12:30pm which was so weird. So so so so weird. I did not like feeling my water break...at all. It sounded like someone poured a gallon of water all over the floor. We were all just laughing because it kept coming. At that point I was 8cm dilated. 
My contractions were uncomfortable..but not painful at this point. It helped that my sweet husband was rubbing my feet and legs a lot. The doctor came back in at 2:30pm to check me..and sadly, I was still at an 8. I was now only contracting every 12 or so minutes. She decided that giving me a little pitocin would help get things moving quicker. She left so that Alex and I could decide what to do...
We chose to try it, but I also wanted an epidural if I had pitocin. 
So by the time they hooked me up and gave me the epidural, it was around 3pm. 
I asked for the lowest dosage possible for the epidural and Im so glad I did. Totally different experience than with Crew. I could move my legs, and body just the same. It was just a little tingly. I could still feel contractions and pressure...but the pain wasn't horrible. 
Around 4:30pm I told the nurse I felt weird and felt some pressure. 
She checked me and said "wow! baby has a lot of dark hair!" 
At that point Alex and I were shocked! 
It all happened too fast for my liking...but the doctor  came in, suited up, and told me to push. Her head came out...and then her body just flopped out of me at 4:44pm!
They put her on my chest and I fell deeply in love with her cheesy, squishy, and pink body. 
The nurses all loved her hair and said how cute her long toes were! (they are so long and skinny!)
The nurse had to remind Alex to grab the camera because we were not getting pictures! It just happened too fast. So grateful she said something. 
They left us alone for a good 2 hours to do skin to skin. 
Those 2 hours are so special to Alex and I because we did not get that with Crew. We were able to just meet our baby with no interruptions. She immediately wanted to nurse and did so well. 
I get all emotional when I think about my doctor, and my experience with this birth. 
I wanted nothing more than to go home to Utah to have her, but this doctor made me feel good about staying. She promised me she would be the one to deliver, and that she would follow up as much as she could. (in the hospital) She kept asking about my family, about Alex's work, and about my mom coming to town. She made this experience so much better than I expected. 
The 36 hours in the hospital with my little family was so great. My recovery is already so much better than the first time. 
Crew came to the hospital to meet Laney and did so well. He was obviously more interested in all the buttons, and machines in the room...but he still was interested in her. It's been so fun to see him as a big brother. 
We are so thankful for my mom and her service to us! Oh my goodness has she been a huge help. Heavenly Father knew without a doubt that I could not do this without her...so the minute she was here, he allowed our sweet daughter to be born. 
I could seriously go on and on about this pregnancy and birth. I loved every minute of it. Laney is such a good baby. I am just so incredibly sad this whole experience is over! I remember clearly when we decided to have another, and now she is here. The next time I do this..it will be baby #3 and both my kids will be so grown up. 
I love being a mother.
I feel so grateful and blessed that my body is able to create these little miracles. 














 This is my absolute favorite picture of Laney bug. So new and so fresh...right from Heaven. 
 Meeting dad for the first time
 Her first bath..she loves these by the way...just not the first one. 

 Meeting Crew
 Our first picture as a family of 4
 I love her cry face. So much. 




 This girl is always rooting! I love it. 
 She loves her dad so much already. Whenever she cries or is fussy...he will sing to her, and she calms right down. 

Thanks so much to my friend Eden for taking some pictures of us and Laney at the hospital! 

We are so happy our sweet girl is here safely. 


3 comments:

  1. What a fun story! With Logan I went into the hospital at a 10, thinking "I'm in pain but not enough pain for it to be time." It really is the best to bring a new one into the world. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So precious and sweet!!! I love hearing/reading my friend's birth stories. Congratulations on beautiful little Laney!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved all these pictures! Thanks for being such a good mommy to my grandbabies. You are doing awesome...keep it up, even on the hard days. they go so fast!

    ReplyDelete